Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Outdoor Book-Inspired Invitation to Play

Following along with  Nurture Store's Simple play:: complex learning series and keeping in mind that Australia Day is just around the corner, today we read Daniel the Devil by Marion and Steve Isham
 
Let me preface this by saying, today was not a fun day. Since she's turned three, Bubbles has been getting to be more and more of a handful, as she pushes boundaries and develops her own little personality and attitude. Today I think she pushed every single boundary that there was and then some! I really wanted to just send her to her room for the entire afternoon but instead, I decided to take some books outside-it never ceases to amaze me how, just being outside can completely calm me and in turn the kids. I'm not saying Bubbles all of a sudden changed into a new kid but simply going outside enabled me to get my emotions back in check and be able to deal with Bubbles with the love and patience she deserves. It was a timely reminder that even mummies need a time out sometimes!
 
Daniel the Devil was a present from my sister to the girls and I have to say I love it! Whilst I don't really love the ending, the story is good, and what I really like the best is that on each page, as well as the beautiful story illustrations, there are 28 other Tasmanian Animals to find-listed in the back of the book. Along with this added, find the animal game, there are also 16 riddles to solve through out the book. Bubbles and Squiggles both like it too.
We sat outside on the deck and read the book, once we had finished reading it I asked Bubbles if she'd like to build her little stuffed Tassie Devil a burrow like the one Daniel and his family lived in. She loved the idea and immediately asked to use the firewood-I got the wood for her as I was a little worried about what might be hiding in amongst the wood, but then she spent a good 15minutes quite happily building her den. It was a blissful 15 minutes for me as Squiggles was loving being outside and exploring the bark chips and leaves-I've never really thought to let the girls play on the front garden as it's just mulch and I thought they'd find it uncomfortable but it's something we'll be doing more often now I know how much they like it.

What's your favourite Australiana book?

-Victoria

Please always supervise your infant/child at play.  Please stay within arms reach and never leave infants/children unattended.  You know you're infant/child best, use your own judgement-considering your infant/child's temperament, habits, behaviour and development before you play with a new play medium.

 Join the #simpleplay sereis on instagram, hosted by @cathynurturestore | NurtureStore :: inspiration for kids
 

2 comments:

  1. I love reading adventure stories outdoors, it brings the book to life

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to let you know that I have featured this post at the Outdoor Play Party this week. Thanks for linking up. http://www.kitchencounterchronicle.com/2014/02/outdoor-play-party-outdoor-learning-adventure.html

    ReplyDelete